St. Catherine’s Guild 2015-2016 Education Program, and a brief history
St. Catherine’s Guild announces their upcoming education program: “The Church throughout the Ages”. From September 2015 through May 2016, St. Catherine’s meets on designated Wednesdays at 10:00 am. The 2015-2016 schedule is listed below.
· September 23: Rev. Jonathan Bryan discusses the four Gospels – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. He’ll speak about how and why they are different.
· October 28: Rev. Don Bender of Pohick Church discusses recent archeological discoveries in Israel.
· November 18: Tom Stallman leads the group through the changes at St. Luke’s from the 1970’s until the present.
· December 16: Fellowship, Luncheon and Community Service. St. Catherine’s meets for fellowship at a wonderful luncheon, wraps gifts for a designated family and packs cookies for Meals on Wheels recipients.
· February 24 and March 23, 2015: John Ewing presents a two-part series addressing Christian Internationalism, incorporating a film from the American Seminar.
· April 27: Rev. Lynda Hergenrather brings the program year to a close with a discussion of Henry VIII and the Reformation.
· A luncheon at the Mount Vernon Country Club in May ends the season.
St. Catherine’s Guild is the branch of the Episcopal Church Women’s organization at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, Wellington. The group meets on the fourth Wednesday of most months at 10:00 AM in St. Luke’s library for education, fellowship and service. In November and December, St. Catherine’s meets on the third Wednesday to avoid conflicts with holidays. There are no meetings in January, June, July or August.
Prior to the 1970’s there were several chapters of the ECW at St. Luke’s. In the 1970’s, many responsibilities of the ECW shifted to vestry and vestry committees as roles for women changed within the church and the workplace. At one point in time, there were two other chapters, the Senior (Davis) Chapter, and St. Bridget’s. By 1978, only the St. Catherine’s chapter remained active.
In 2015, St. Catherine’s Guild continues to actively engage in the mission of Episcopal Church Women, which is to empower women to do Christ’s ministry in the world. St. Catherine’s meetings are open to all women of St. Luke’s to discover how to personally engage in Christ’s ministry through fellowship, education and community service.